PICANet data is used for national and local audit, service planning, commissioning, research, and to provide baseline information for clinical trials.
PICANet is a powerful tool for supporting clinical governance in paediatric intensive care.
The core dataset of demographic and clinical data on all admissions, collated by PICANet, allows comparison of PICU activity at a local level with national benchmarks. This dataset provides an important evidence base on outcomes, processes and structures that permits planning for future practice, audit and interventions.
PICANet has also recently expanded its data collection to include the referral and transport of children who need paediatric intensive care. This will enable us to compare and audit these important aspects of care for these children.
PICANet 2017 Annual report
The 2017 Annual Report is now published and is available to download. The reporting period for this is January 2014 to December 2016.
Download the 2017 PICANet Annual Report here:
- PICANet 2017 Annual Report Tables and Figures (excel)
- PICANet 2017 Annual Report Tables and Figures (pdf)
- PICANet 2017 Annual Report Summary
- PICANet Annual Report Appendices 2017
- Northern Ireland PICANet Report 2017 Anonymised
- PICANet Republic of Ireland Report 2017 Anonymised
- Scotland PICANet Annual Report 2017 Anonymised
- Wales PICANet Annual Report 2017 Anonymised
Previous editions of the PICANet Annual Report are available in the Annual Report Archive.
Leaflets and Information
PICANet produce information leaflet to help explain how PICANet use patient information for the patients, and the families and carers.
We have a whole section providing useful information and links for families available including child friendly resources.