PICANet is able to assist with a variety of data information requests.
PICANet has permission to collect patient identifiable data under section 251 of the NHS Act 2006 (originally enacted under Section 60 of the Health and Social Care Act 2001). Demographic details from the Republic of Ireland are anonymised in accordance with the requirements of the Irish Data Protection Officer.
Release of data- the process:
Please follow the steps below to complete a data request.
PICANet have provided a flow diagram to depict this information. Please click on the image to access the full document.
Please be aware that PICANet Statistician position is currently vacant, which may cause a delay in the processing of data requests. We thank you for your understanding and patience.
29th October 2018
- Please can ALL APPLICANTS firstly complete our online request feasibility form.
Please note, that PICANet only release data from the reporting periods that have already been published in our Annual Reports. On receipt of this PICANet will assign you a reference number to be quoted in any future correspondence regarding this request.
- PICANet will send your data request to our Clinical Advisory Group (CAG)for comment and approval after it has been reviewed by the PICANet Team.
- The PICANet Team may contact you directly to clarify details.
- PICANet will pass on the CAG comments to HQIP where necessary, so please ensure the PICANet form and any subsequent HQIP documentation reflect each other accurately.
- This process takes at least two weeks.
- Data requests that relate to data from non-English PICUs only need to go through step one above only.
To comply with contractual obligations with HQIP who are the Data Owner of data collected by PICANet from English PICUs all data requests must follow the following procedure.
When your data request includes data from English PICUs:
- If your data request is for a small number of data fields (less than 3) de-identified, national level, or aggregated data, please check if you can submit an Information Request. HQIP have developed a document called ‘NCAPOP Information Request Process ‘ to assist in choosing the correct option for your request- if suitable complete the NCA information request formOR
- If you have a more extensive or detailed data request, please complete the HQIP-Data-Access-Request-Form-DARF-V2.2 (2).
- Guidance on the HQIP data access process, Data Access Group (DARG) meeting dates, and the forms are available on the HQIP website. Please utilise the guidance for completing data request applications in line with the HQIP requirements, they are very detailed and go through what is necessary section by section (see extract below)
- Please note there is some overlap between the PICANet and HQIP forms and you can copy and paste information. Please make sure that the detail sent to PICANet and which we will distribute to the CAG are exactly the sameas those supplied on the HQIP forms.
- HQIP require our signed agreement to the data request on their data access request form before they will consider the request. This means you must send email@example.com the completed HQIP DARF and DSA.
- To make sure that PICANet and HQIP are able to link the two data request forms please use the same title and contact information on both forms.
- Once approval from HQIP has been obtained for data from English PICUs or following approval from our Clinical Advisory Group (CAG) for other requests, the PICANet team will respond to you in due course.
- HQIP require the completion of a Data Sharing Agreement (DSA) with both types of application, This is usually included in the application form (DARF), however should you require the separate version, this is available on its own.
- If you use PICANet data from our annual reports or as part of a data request, in all cases PICANet must be acknowledged as the source when reproducing or quoting any part of PICANet publication or data.
Please use the following format when citing the Annual Reports report:
Paediatric Intensive Care Audit Network Annual Report (yyyy) (published mm/yyyy): Universities of Leeds and Leicester.
- All applications should receive a reference number from PICANet e.g. P123.
If you’ve applied to HQIP you should receive a confirmation email including a reference (E.g. HQIP 123).
Please include these reference numbers in all correspondence.
- Copy PICANet in correspondence even if it’s to one of the team directly, please add firstname.lastname@example.org so the progress of your application can be kept up to date. Often more than one person is involved in the processing of your data request.
- Please be aware when completing the HQIP DARF, that if your request covers data beyond England, such as for Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland, you will need to remove all reference to those within your application (DARF). This is due to HQIP only being data controllers for English PICU data. You can leave references to both English and non-English in the PICANet request form.
- Please also pay careful attention to section 23 of the DARF, which visually depict the supporting evidence you will need to submit alongside your DARF. This is broken down into Applicant and Provider required documents. PICANet is the provider. PICANet’s Fair Processing Statement is available in our Committees and Policies section.
- HQIP may contact you directly with questions about your request. When emailing, please Carbon Copy (CC) PICANet into correspondence relating to your request.